Gloria Steinem and Dorothy Pitman-Hughes, 1972 and 2014
Both by Dan Bagan
Wanna see my cry like a baby? Ask me who these women were.
Hughes’ father was beaten nearly to death by the KKK when she was a kid, and what does she do? Become an activist to try and stop that from happening to other people. She raised money to bail civil rights protesters out of jail. She helped women get out of abusive situations by providing shelter for them until they got on their feet. She founded an agency that helped women get to work without having to leave their children alone, because childcare in the 1970s? Not really a thing. In fact, a famous feminist line in the 70s was “every housewife is one man away from welfare.”
Then she teamed up with Steinman to found the Women’s Action Alliance, which created the first battered women’s shelters in history. They attacked women’s rights issues through boots on the ground activism, problem solving, and communication. They stomped over barriers of race and class to meet women where they were: mostly mothers who wanted better for themselves and their children.
These are women are who I always wanted to be.
|anime trope episodes:||the beach episode, the festival episode, the episode where someone doesn't know how to cook|
|western cartoon trope episodes:||the episode where someone has several copies of themselves made, the episode where inanimate objects come to life, the episode that is a homage to a movie from the 1950s, the episode where someone is shrunk down to microscopic levels and placed inside the body of another person|
how come no one ever talks about how hans was about to slice elsa’s fucking head off
its like every character in the movie was g-rated disney, except for hans, hans literally came straight out of game of thrones
the southern isles send their regards
|Me:||*playing Tomb Raider*|
|Grandmother who is visiting for the weekend:||Mind if I sit with you?|
|Me:||*squirming slightly because there is gore and swearing in this game and my grandmother is a sweet old lady: Um, if you want to.|
|Grandmother:||*sits* Thank you, dear.|
|Me:||*continuing to play for about five minutes*|
|Grandmother:||LOOK OUT THERE ARE THREE COMING DOWN THE HILL|
|Grandmother:||THAT WAS POINT BLANK HOW ARE THEY ALIVE|
|Grandmother:||OOOHH YOU MADE THAT EXPLODE|
|Grandmother:||STOP KILLING MY GRANDDAUGHTER|
|Grandmother:||KILL THEM KILL THEM ALL|
|Grandmother:||OHHHHH YOU SHOT HIM IN THE HEAD OHHHHHHHHH|
|Grandmother:||RUN RUN RUN YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE RUN|
|Grandmother:||OKAY NOW KILL THEM ALL|
|Me:||*slowly turns to look at her* Grandma|
|Grandmother:||*sweet smile* Hmm?|
|Me:||Grandma oh my god|
|Grandmother:||*more smiling* Well, hurry up and kill everyone else, I want to see you save this Sam person.|
Hmm, I just reblogged it from another site, but I think I can help you in terms of what to buy and how to do it. If you click the link, it’ll take you to the complete photo post that shows you what you need. In any event, here’s the list:
- Nail polish
- Floral wire, a thin bendable wire is ideal. 26 Gauge is fine.
- Floral Tape
- Wire cutters/scissors
- a pencil or cylindrical object to wrap the petals around
- Ribbon (optional)
- First, you’re gonna need to make the crown. You can do this by using the wire you already have or you can use an old headband or anything that you like that resembles a headpiece. Thicker wire is also fine for this step. As you can see, OP twisted two pieces of wire together and left loops at the end (to attach the ribbon). Then they covered it in brown floral tape.
- The second step is to make the flowers. Using your pencil/cylindrical object, twist the wire around it to create a ‘petal’. Repeat this until you have at least a couple of petals. 3-6 is usually fine, it’s really your call.
- SLIGHTLY bend the petals back to create a natural looking petal.
- After you are satisfied with the shape of your petals, cut out your flower, leaving some wire left to attach it to your crown.
- Repeat the first few steps and make the rest of your flowers.
- Take one of your flowers and CAREFULLY apply nail polish to it, one petal at a time. Think of it like making bubbles. It may be easier to pour the nail polish in a flat plate and dip it, or dip the entire flower into the polish.Repeat this for all your remaining flowers.
- Twist the two ends of your flowers together to form a ‘stem’.
- Wrap the stems with floral tape, preferably with the same color you used in the base of the crown.Repeat this for all your remaining flowers.
- The third step will be attaching the flowers to your crown. You can do this a few ways. One way is to wrap the stems around the crown. Another way is to just wrap the stems with floral tape as you go along, like the OP did.Do this until all your flowers have been attached to your crown.
- At this point, you can tie the ribbons to the loops like OP did, or decorate it any other way you like. :)
Enjoy your new floral crown!
- You can purchase most of the items in Walmart, Michael’s or any craft or flower store. You can also order it online. :)
- REMEMBER, this tutorial is just a guide. If you don’t want to use brown floral tape or if you prefer using the green floral wire, don’t be afraid to change it up. You can use any color or material your heart desires.
I’ll refer you to an ask where I gave a few tips. ASK by starry-ponds
And here is the original link to the post. It’s in Russian.
Sorry for replying late. I hope this helps you with making your own crown. :)
for the people asking about the nail polish flowers!
oh man i remember when my mom used to make these…. so that’s how she did it… muwhahahahahahahahaaa
Steve Rogers did, in fact, realize that something was off when he saw the outline of the woman’s odd bra (a push-up bra, he would later learn), but being an officer and a gentleman, he said that it was the game that gave the future away.
No, see, this scene is just amazing. The costume department deserves so many kudos for this, it’s unreal, especially given the fact that they pulled off Peggy pretty much flawlessly.
1) Her hair is completely wrong for the 40’s. No professional/working woman would have her hair loose like that. Since they’re trying to pass this off as a military hospital, Steve would know that she would at least have her hair carefully pulled back, if maybe not in the elaborate coiffures that would have been popular.
2) Her tie? Too wide, too long. That’s a man’s tie, not a woman’s. They did, however, get the knot correct as far as I can see - that looks like a Windsor.
3) That. Bra. There is so much clashing between that bra and what Steve would expect (remember, he worked with a bunch of women for a long time) that it has to be intentional. She’s wearing a foam cup, which would have been unheard of back then. It’s also an exceptionally old or ill-fitting bra - why else can you see the tops of the cups? No woman would have been caught dead with misbehaving lingerie like that back then, and the soft satin cups of 40’s lingerie made it nearly impossible anyway. Her breasts are also sitting at a much lower angle than would be acceptable in the 40’s.
Look at his eyes. He knows by the time he gets to her hair that something is very, very wrong.
so what you are saying is S.H.E.I.L.D. has a super shitty costume division….
Nope, Nick Fury totally did this on purpose.
There’s no knowing what kind of condition Steve’s in, or what kind of person he really is, after decades of nostalgia blur the reality and the long years in the ice (after a plane crash and a shitload of radiation) do their work. (Pre-crash Steve is in lots of files, I’m sure. Nick Fury does not trust files.) So Fury instructs his people to build a stage, and makes sure that the right people put up some of the wrong cues.
Maybe the real Steve’s a dick, or just an above-average jock; maybe he had a knack for hanging out with real talent. Maybe he hit his head too hard on the landing and he’s not gonna be Captain anymore. On the flipside, if he really is smart, then putting him in a standard, modern hospital room and telling him the truth is going to have him clamming up and refusing to believe a goddamn thing he hears for a really long time.
The real question here is, how long it does it take for the man, the myth, the legend to notice? What does he do about it? How long does he wait to get his bearings, confirm his suspicions, and gather information before attempting busting out?
Turns out the answer’s about forty-five seconds.
This is super interesting.